This blog will comprise a collection of ephemera, mess and miscellaneous artifacts reflecting on the writer's life.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

keeping you up to date

When I was at Brian's this weekend he was reading two books I have been waiting for for a long time. One was this book, by David Barton and Karin Tusting, from the Lancaster Literacy Research Centre (Dr Joolz is giving a talk there in a few weeks time watch this space). It has marvellous chapters by lots of brilliant people including Maria Clara Keating, who I met in Barcelona, who writes about the literacy practices of the Portuguese community in London.
The other book is this one by our very own wonderful Jackie Marsh, and Joanne Larson. It looks fantastic and I can't wait to read it.
I am off now to the Amazon website now to order those books, and also this book for my frend Diana, by my favourite writer, Kathleen Jamie, who also wrote this.
Read it for her descriptions of the Kashmiri Pakistani communities on the North West Frontier and think of them now. The snows are coming in and they are still having huge difficulties with food. Heartbreaking.
In Brighton I also bought this on Dr Joolz' recommendation.
Now I am off to Barnsley to do research on ways in which this organisation has been working with parents and children and have created a culture of creativity. Wonderful.
I will be back!

2 comments:

JP said...

Its terrible that so little done to help those affected by the Earthquake. With winter coming conditions there getting awful. A good link is:

http://www.dec.org.uk/

Kate said...

Thanks Captain John!