This blog will comprise a collection of ephemera, mess and miscellaneous artifacts reflecting on the writer's life.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Tracing

the epistemological unconscious is one of my favourite things to do.
The phrase comes from Bourdieu, Invitation to Reflexive Sociology and it means that you have to interrogate what is within your own epistemological unconscious in order to encounter others' works.
Therefore, I need to look at my own arty ways in order to situate myself in research projects.
Tracing social practices in texts is something Jennifer and I like to do and we are writing about it at the moment together
(this requires obviously an urgent trip to New York).
Tracing is also what we are doing in our wonderful new Women's Art project
for our website and we are tracing photos of ourselves and then
sewing them onto material for the backdrop to the exhibition here.
it is all very material.

No comments: