This blog will comprise a collection of ephemera, mess and miscellaneous artifacts reflecting on the writer's life.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Thinking visually


One of the really interesting things about the artists and museums project I am doing is that artists really seem to think visually.
They seem to work through ideas in images, just instinctively knowing what is right and what isn't.
You can know if someone sees things in the same way that you do.
I am totally fascinated by this, that artists have this visual knowledge
but when I thought about it, I realised I was being a bit of a voyeur, peering into that space.
It felt intrusive.
I wasn't sure what to do with the knowledge I had.
Perhaps the process of laying bare the brain is too dangerous.
I love the shuttered faces of people thinking here.

2 comments:

Kopaylopa said...

My first studio professor came to my desk for a crit to see how my project was progressing. I told him all about the ideas and thoughts I was having about how the project should go together. He listened to me and then said that while he understood what I was saying, I was going to have to learn to use the language of drawing to convey my ideas- that architecture is a visual subject and if I couldn't say what I wanted to say in a drawing or a model, then he wasn't going to come back and talk to me until I could. I found this quite challenging at the time. Now, years later, I find it impossible to describe something to someone without defaulting to asking them for a piece of paper and a pen- I can draw what I mean much easier than I can describe it!
-K

Kate said...

Hi Kopaylopa!
Thanks for commenting.
I really like your stuff on school as well - I think there is a very problematic relationship between what is taught in school and what we need to do for real.